How to fix Windows Defender error 577 in Windows 10
Why did error 577 occur and how to get rid of it
You have “Windows could not start the Windows Defender service on Local Computer. Error 577: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file…” issue and you don’t know how to fix it? Then you have come to the right place. This error message may appear when trying to run Win Defender. With our help you can solve this problem quite easy. Some cases might be more difficult to fix, but don’t worry, you can find a lot of helpful instructions and programs to help you in this article.
Windows Defender is an anti-spyware and anti-virus application that is built in Windows OS. In earlier versions of Windows, like Windows 7, it used to have only anti-spyware functions. There was no case of Windows Defender spoiling third-party anti-virus work. In Windows 8 it has become a full-featured anti-virus. When another anti-virus application is installed, Defender stops its work so the two would not trouble each other. There’s also another reason for Defender to shut down – malware, that is able to spoil some of related files or corrupt registry settings.
Fast Automatic Solutions:
The best and easiest way to fix Windows Defender error 577 is to use special computer optimizer PC Health Advisor. It will scan your computer for system errors and issues. PC Health Advisor has wide range of solutions to most of the system problems, including Windows Defender error 577. Install it and run the scan, then watch it fixing your system’s issues.
Another proper program that is able to fix Windows Defender error 577 is RegCure. This application is designed to quickly and powerfully clean your Windows registry, boosting your computer’s performance. There are a lot of optimization tools in RegCure, give it a try.
Or fix error 577 in Windows 10 in 4 steps manually:
- remove malware;
- uninstall other antivirus applications;
- enable Win Defender manually if it won’t start automatically.
Get rid of malware
Some malicious programs can disable AVs, including Win Defender, in order to avoid detection and removal. If that is what happened, eliminating malware is the first thing you need to do. Download and run a powerful anti-malware utility or several.
Uninstall third-party anti-malware
This concerns antivirus programs mostly, but other security software, like some anti-spyware, have been reported to cause Windows Defender error 577, too.
- Press Windows key + X key.
- Select Control Panel => Programs => Programs and Features.
- Look for the AV, highlight it and click Uninstall.
- Reboot and try to launch Win Defender.
If this haven’t eliminated error 577, the antivirus probably wasn’t removed completely. Find and delete all remaining files, folders, Registry settings related to it or use an app removal tool. Revo Uninstaller is one such tool , and on a Microsoft Community you can find more of those.
Launch Defender via Services
- Click Start.
- Type services.ms and press Enter.
- Locate Windows Defender Service in the table, right-click on it and click Start.
Activate Win Defender through Update & Security
- Click Start.
- Open Settings => Update & Security => Windows Defender.
- Turn real-time protection on.
If the above approaches didn’t help you to get rid of error 577, here are a few advanced methods you can try.
Run System File Checker to restore corrupted system files
- Press Windows key + X key.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
- Wait until the process completes.
If some defective files have been detected but could not be restored, type dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter (this step requires an active Internet connection to access Microsoft servers).
Wait for the procedure to finish and repeat step 3.
- Exit Command prompt, reboot the PC.
Correct Windows Registry settings
An AV or a sneaked in malware might have modified the settings to disable Windows Defender.
Doing any changes in the Registry manually is risky, as a mistake might have harmful consequences for your system, which is why we advise you to make a backup of the Registry before altering anything.
- Click Start.
- Type regedit and hit Enter.
- Create a Registry backup: Click File => Export. Enter file name, select All under Export range, choose the location. Click Save.
- On the left panel expand the keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => SOFTWARE => Microsoft. Highlight Windows Defender.
- On the right panel double-click DisableAntivirus entry and change its value data to 0.
- Do the same with AntiSpyware entry.
- On the left panel right-click Windows Defender, select Permissions… => Advanced.
- Next to Owner click Change. Type your Windows username, click OK.
- Click Add => Select a principal. Type your username, click OK.
- Put ticks in Full Control and Read checkboxes. Click OK in every remaining window.
- On the left panel expand the keys: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => Software => Microsoft => Windows NT => CurrentVersion. Click on Image File Execution Options.
- Delete any entries mentioning the words MSASCui.exe, MpCmdRun.exe or MsMpEng.exe.
- Exit Registry Editor and restart the PC.
Note: If you are not allowed to make changes, do the following first and go back to steps 5 and 6:
Change the security permissions in your Registry
Windows Defender error 577 might be caused by security permissions issues. In order to solve the problem you may change the security permissions of specific keys in registry. To do so, take following steps.
- Open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender key.
- Right click on the key and select Permissions option.
- Choose the Advanced button.
- Click on the Add button.
- Choose Select a principal.
- In the Enter the object name to select field type in user name and click Check Names.
- Select OK to save changes.
- You can see your username in the Principal section. In Basic permissions section tick the box on Full Control and click OK to save changes.
- Choose Enable Inheritance button.
- Click Apply and OK.
Restart Security Center and Windows Defender service
In some cases Windows Defender error 577 might be resolved by restarting Security Center. To restart Security Center, follow the instruction.
- Press Windows + R.
- Type services.msc, then press Enter.
- Search for Security Center service.
- Right click on it and select Restart.
Restore the system to an earlier time
System restore provides you with the means of rolling your system back to one of the previously saved restore points. That is, if you have this tool enabled (which is always a good idea). In that case restore points are automatically created before any change in the system, such as software installation, is made. After using System Restore installed programs and system settings will revert to the state they were in on a saved point in time; user files won’t be affected.
- Press Windows key + X key, then click Control Panel.
- Select Recovery => Open System Restore.
- In System Protection tab click System Restore… and then follow the program’s directions.
We hope this guide was helpful to you, and you were able to start Win Defender again. Feel free to leave a comment and tell us what steps were (or weren’t) effective in your case.